Even though I wasn't born here, Aiken feels like home.

Come see for yourself! What are you waiting for?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

DON'T GET 'FOOLED' BY HOME IMPROVEMENT SCAMS !

I came across this article in my SRES materials, and wanted to share it with EVERYONE. Even though it is a month old, I feel that it is still very important!
---

Don't get 'Fooled" by Home Improvement Scams

RISMEDIA, March 27, 2008-”April Fool’s!” Many people have heard that oh-so-familiar saying when someone plays a joke on them in celebration of the comical holiday. However, this April - and actually this entire spring season - Mr. Handyman, warns local homeowners not to get “fooled” by handyman scam artists when hiring professionals to do home improvements.
“The spring is a peak time when home improvement scam artists take advantage of homeowners. We want to show residents how they can identify a scam when they see one!” said Todd Recknagel, president of the Ann Arbor, Michigan-based Mr. Handyman International. “Doing background checks and making sure you trust a person before you sign a contract or hire them to do work in your home is imperative. And, we want to relay that message to individuals looking to get work done around their home this year.”
According to a recent article on MSN.com, the following phrases are some things to look out for when hiring a professional to do a job in your home:
“I just happen to be working in your neighborhood”“I have materials left over”“I need cash upfront”“I have a special offer that’s good for you today, only”“I can help you finance the project”“I want to use your home as a model”
According to Recknagel, these could all be signs of dishonesty. Scam artists know that during the winter season, many homeowners do a walk-through inspection of their home and began a list of special projects that they need done. And, those projects that have been put off for months are usually executed in the spring, Recknagel said.
---
Please share this blog with your friends, family and associates. I don't want to see ANYONE get scammed.


No comments: